Monday is the day of the beginning of the week. This day is being observed with new concepts, objectives and prospects in the quiet mind. It requires that the person’s mind is not distressed and the state of mind remains under control. Observing all day fasting in the name of Lord Shiva, also completes the worship of the Lord of the day, i.e. moon.
Why do we observe?
If you want your good routine, a congenial atmosphere at the workspace and the continuous flow of internal energy with in you, the intensity of the work continues without Interaction pungency, aggression and internal resentment are controlled, the adoration the Som or Moon i.e. Lord Shiva, is beneficial. Observing fast devotedly on Sixteen Mondays which is known Somwari fast is extremely fruitful. If any planet in the horoscope of a person generates bad conditions and creates hurdles in any special work, this fast precisely fulfils the purpose of Sarvkamna.
How do we observe Fast?
The fast is started in first week of Shukla Paksha of Shravan, Chaitra, Vaisakha, Kartik or Margashirsha months. Devoutly observing fasts for five years or sixteen weeks leads to the fulfillment of hopes.
- The person who starts the fast should put black sesame in water and take bath with this water in the morning. Then reciting OM Namah Shivaya mantra should worship Lord Shiva and Parvati with white flowers, white sandalwood, rice, Panchamrita, nut, fruit and Ganga water or clean water.
- After worshiping Shiv-Parvati, person should listen to the story of Monday’s Vrat Katha. Then after offering aarti, Prasad distribution should take place.
- After worship without salt food should be taken for one time. Fruits has special significance as food.
- ‘Udyapan’ should be on Sixteenth Monday. Every Monday white goods should be donated, along with worship, white items may be rice, white garment or cloth, white flowers, white sandalwood, milk, yogurt silver, etc…
5.On Udyapan day pudding-fried bread or milk, Halva should be given as food to Brahmins and children and possible donations should be offered to them.
- According to astrology, this day has special importance as holding “pearl in silver ring ” for Peace of the moon.
According to ancient Hindu scriptures and scholars Monday fasts are of three kinds. One is called Ek Somwar, second is known as Solah Somwar, and third is called Soumya Pradosh. In the month of Sravn fasting on Monday should start from sunrise. The following mantra should be chanted for resolution. These mantras are –
Mantra for resolution –
‘मम क्षेमस्थैर्यविजयारोग्यैश्वर्याभिवृद्धयर्थं सोमव्रतं करिष्ये’
“Mam kshemsthyaryvijyarogyaishavryaabhivridhyarthm somvratam karisye”
Mantra for meditation:
ध्यायेन्नित्यंमहेशं रजतगिरिनिभं चारुचंद्रावतंसं रत्नाकल्पोज्ज्वलांग परशुमृगवराभीतिहस्तं प्रसन्नम्।
पद्मासीनं समंतात्स्तुतममरगणैर्व्याघ्रकृत्तिं वसानं विश्वाद्यं विश्ववंद्यं निखिलभयहरं पंचवक्त्रं त्रिनेत्रम्॥
Dhyayennitaymmheshm rajatgirinibham charuchandravatnsam ratnakalpojjvalaag parshumrigvarabheetihastam prasnnam |
Padmaseenam samantaatstutmamragnaivryaaghrakrittim vasaanam vishvaadayam vishvvandam nikhilbhai haram panchvaktram trinetram ||
After Dhyan, Shiv ji should be worshipped with OM Namaha Shivay and Parwatiji’s Sodsopchar worshiping should be with Om Namah Shivayai.