Now a days, becoming a vegetarian or vegan is a trend, according to PETA, around 5 percent of United States of America residents are vegetarian and 2.5% of residents are vegan. Even the most popular and hottest American actress are following this trend, which even includes big names like Now Carri Underwood , Alicia Silverstone and Christie Brinkley.
According to experts, adopting a plant based diet is the most nutritious and one of the healthiest ways to eat. You will get Minerals and Vitamins from the diet, by avoiding harmful fats and calories. Well, you will not only benefit yourself but also help environment by becoming a vegan.
Now, many American actress have followed this lifestyle for environmental, health or personal reasons, lets take a look at those celebrities: –
1. CARRI UNDERWOOD :- She is an American song writer, actress and singer. At the age of thirteen, she witnessed the killings of animals and then decided to be a vegetarian. She rose to fame as the winner of the fourth season of American Idol in 2005. Underwood has set and broken several records throughout her career.
2. NATALIE PORTMAN :- This Israeli-born American actress decided to be vegan in the year 2009 after reading a book “Eating Animals”, written by Jonathan Safran Foer. Portman, who is an advocate for animal rights, became a vegetarian when she was eight years old, a decision which came after she witnessed a demonstration of laser surgery on a chicken while attending a medical conference with her father.
3. ALICIA SILVERSTONE :- She is an American author, producer, actress and activist. She turned to vegan 17 years ago, when she was just 21. She inspired to do this by watching several documentaries on the food industry. Silverstone is noted for being an animal rights and environmental activist. In 2004, Silverstone was voted “Sexiest Female Vegetarian” by PETA. In 2007, Silverstone appeared nude in a print advertisement and 30-second commercial for PETA championing vegetarianism.
4. ANNE HATHAWAY :- This American actress has an on and off relationship with veganism or vegetarianism. However, after her official breakup with Fraudulent Raffaello Follieri, she reports that she is completely vegetarian. Hathaway is involved with charities, including The Creative Coalition, The Step Up Women’s Network, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
5. ALYSSA MILANO :- She is a former singer, and American producer and actress. She is also a vegetarian and a strong and active supporter of PETA. In support of PETA, she appeared in a 2007 advertisement for them, advocating vegetarianism, in a dress made entirely of vegetables. In October 2004, Milano participated in UNICEF’s “Trick or Treat” campaign as the national spokesperson. She raised approximately $50,000 for South African women and children with AIDS by selling her own and schools’ photo work.
- CHRISTIE BRINKLEY :- She is an American supermodel and a vegetarian. Brinkley supports animal rights, most notably through the organization PETA, having previously spoken out against the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus. She has also been involved in anti-nuclear activities and campaigned against the restarting of the High Flux Beam Reactor (HFBR) located at the Brookhaven National Laboratory.
7. CHIRISTINA APPLEGATE :- She is the spokeswoman of PETA and a vegetarian too. In 2008, following her diagnosis with breast cancer, Applegate appeared on a television special entitled Stand Up to Cancer designed to raise funds for breast cancer research. The one-hour special was broadcast on CBS, NBC, and ABC television networks on September 5, 2008. In 2009, she announced her plans to return as the ambassador for Lee National Denim Day. Also in 2009, she founded Right Action for Women, a charitable foundation dedicated to breast cancer screening for women, and focused on the type of MRI scan which saved her life.
8. HAYDEN PANETTIERE :- She is an American singer, model, actress and activist against the hunting of dolphin and whale. She followed a vegetarian diet while she starred in Heroes but has since added chicken and fish to her diet, stating that she “didn’t respond well” to a vegetarian diet, and she had “low energy”.
9. GINNIFER GOODWIN :- She is an American film and tv actress, and she announced that she became a vegan in 2009. Goodwin was a vegan and was a spokesperson for Farm Sanctuary’s Adopt-A-Turkey Project in 2009, having adopted a whole flock herself. She revealed on Jimmy Kimmel that she gave up being a vegan after experiencing undisclosed health issues. She said: “I’m always learning and growing and changing and there were some boring health issues, and so I did actually have to work some animal products back into my diet.”
10. KATE WINSLET :- She is an American actress, known for the movie “Titanic”. She is an active supporter of PETA and a vegetarian. In 2010, Winslet narrated a video for PETA, encouraging chefs to remove foie gras from their menus and asking consumers to boycott restaurants that serve it. Winslet is a vegetarian. She also wrote a book titled “The Golden Hat: Talking Back to Autism”, which contains personal statements and self-portraits from number of celebrities including Leonardo DiCaprio, Marion Cotillard and Michael Caine. In 2011, Winslet received the Yo Dona award for Best Humanitarian Work for her work with the Golden Hat. 11. KRISTEN BELL:- She is an American singer and actress, listed as the sexiest vegetarian in world by PETA in 2007. At age 11, Bell became a vegetarian. In an interview with PETA, Bell stated, “I have always been an animal lover. I had a hard time disassociating the animals I cuddled with—dogs and cats, for example—from the animals on my plate, and I never really cared for the taste of meat.
12. AMY SMART :- She is an American actress and a vegetarian. In 2004, she was named as one of the “Women with Organic Style” in the Organic Style magazine.
13. ROONEY MARA :- She is a talented American actress and the secret of her slim figure is that she follows a completely vegan diet. Mara founded the charity Faces of Kibera, which aimed to provide housing, food, and medical care for orphans in Kibera, a Nairobi, Kenya slum. The charity’s goal was to build an orphanage in the region, for which 6 acres of land have been purchased. The charity auctioned memorabilia from the Steelers and Giants, as well as training camp events on eBay to raise money.
14. JESSICA CHASTAIN :- She is an American actress and best known for her role in The Trees of Life, Take Shelter, The Help. Chastain is a feminist and she is a vegan. As of June 2013, she lives in Greenwich Village, with her dog Chaplin, a three-legged rescue dog. she gained wide public recognition for her starring roles in six film releases, including Take Shelter, The Tree of Life and The Help.
15. OLIVIA WILDE :- She is an American actress, producer and model. She is a vegetarian since she was twelve years old and she says that being vegan is not easy but it makes you look better. Wilde has dual citizenship in the United States and Ireland. She derived her stage name “Wilde” from Irish author Oscar Wilde. She changed her surname while in high school, to honor the writers in her family, many of whom used pen names. She is a pescetarian, though formerly vegan, and was voted PETA’s Sexiest Vegetarian Celebrity of 2010.