In the United Kingdom, increasing numbers of people have adopted a vegetarian diet since the end of World War II. The Food Standards Agency Public Attitudes to Food Survey 2009 reported that 3% of respondents were found to be “completely vegetarian”, with an additional 5% “partly vegetarian (don’t eat some types of fish or meat)”. Some independent market studies suggest that vegetarians constitute 7% to 11% of the UK adult population (4 million people). Now, many celebrities have followed this lifestyle for environmental, health or personal reasons, lets take a look at those celebrities:
- DAMON ALBARN : Damon Albarn is an English musician, singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and record producer. He is the lead singer of the alternative rock band Blur as well as co-founder, vocalist and principal songwriter and instrumentalist of the virtual band Gorillaz. Albarn is a vegetarian.
- RICHARD ASHCROFT : Richard Paul Ashcroft is an English musician, singer and songwriter. Richard is a vegetarian. He was the lead singer and occasional guitarist of the alternative rock band The Verve from their formation in 1990 until their split in 1999, and continues as a lead vocalist working with guitars and keyboards. He became a successful solo artist in his own right, releasing three UK top three solo albums.
- JOAN ARMATRADING : Joan Anita Barbara Armatrading is a vegetarian British singer-songwriter and guitarist. As a three-time Grammy Award-nominee, Armatrading was nominated twice for BRIT Awards as Best Female Artist. She also received an Ivor Novello Award for Outstanding Contemporary Song Collection in 1996.
- KATE BUSH : Catherine “Kate” Bush, is an English singer-songwriter, musician, composer, dancer and record producer known for her ambitious, eclectic music and idiosyncratic performances. Bush first came to note in 1978 when, at the age of 19, she topped the UK Singles Chart for four weeks with her debut single, “Wuthering Heights”, becoming the first female artist to achieve a UK number-one with a self-written song. Kate Bush has been vegetarian since 1975. She discussed her diet with British cooking show host Delia Smith in a 1980 BBC interview.
- ALEXA CHUNG : Alexa Chung is an English fashion model, television presenter, and contributing editor at British Vogue. She is a strict vegetarian and does not eat any kind of meat including red meat. She does not like the food that is served at the television studios. In the break time she likes to have cupcake and muesli. Alexa also likes green tea. The drink improves her immune system and also aids her metabolism process.
- DARREN JOHN BOYD : Darren John Boyd is a vegan British actor who starred in the Sky1 series Spy, for which he won a BAFTA award. His work in television and film spans comedy and drama. He began acting at age 17 in amateur theatre and performed in local productions from 1989 to 1995. Boyd moved to London in his mid-20s, where he continued to work in theatre until being cast in ‘Kiss Me Kate’ for the BBC in 1998.
- ELVIS COSTELLO : Elvis Costello is an English musician, singer-songwriter and record producer. He began his career as part of London’s pub rock scene in the early 1970s and later became associated with the first wave of the British punk and new wave movement of the mid-to-late 1970s. A vegetarian since the early 1980s, Costello says he was moved to reject meat after seeing the documentary The Animals Film (1982), which also helped inspire his song “Pills and Soap” from 1983’s Punch the Clock. In January 2013, Costello teamed up with Paul McCartney to create an ad campaign backing vegetarian foods produced by the Linda McCartney Foods brand.
- ELIZA DOOLITTLE : Eliza Sophie Caird better known by her stage name Eliza Doolittle, is a vegetarian English singer, songwriter and activist who signed with the Parlophone record label in October 2008. Her debut eponymous album was released on 12 July 2010, where it debuted at number three on the UK Albums Chart. The album, Eliza Doolittle, produced two UK top forty hits: “Skinny Genes” and “Pack Up”, the latter of which peaked within the top five on the UK Singles Chart.
- MARTIN FREEMAN : Martin John Christopher Freeman is an English actor, best known for portraying Tim Canterbury in the original UK version of sitcom mockumentary The Office, Dr. John Watson in the British crime drama Sherlock, Bilbo Baggins in Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit film trilogy, and Lester Nygaard in the dark comedy-crime drama TV series Fargo. Freeman is a vegetarian.
- SADIE LIZA : Sadie Liza Frost is a vegetarian English actress, producer and fashion designer, who currently runs fashion label Frost French and a film production company Blonde to Black Pictures in 2011.
- JANE GOODALL : Dame Jane Morris Goodall, is a British primatologist, ethologist, anthropologist, and UN Messenger of Peace. Considered to be the world’s foremost expert on chimpanzees, Goodall is best known for her 55-year study of social and family interactions of wild chimpanzees in Gombe Stream National Park, Tanzania. She is the founder of the Jane Goodall Institute and the Roots & Shoots program, and she has worked extensively on conservation and animal welfare issues.
- JULIE CHRISTIE : Julie Frances Christie is a British actress. A pop icon of the “swinging London” era of the 1960s, she has won the Academy, Golden Globe, BAFTA, and Screen Actors Guild Awards. She is also active in various causes, including animal rights, environmental protection, and the anti-nuclear power movement and is also a Patron of the Palestine Solidarity Campaign, as well as Reprieve, and CFS/ME charity Action for ME.
- AMANDA HOLDEN : Amanda Louise Holden is an English actress, singer and presenter, best known as a judge on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent since the show began in 2007. In 2013, she became a celebrity ambassador for Battersea Dogs and Cats Home, following her work with Pedigree’s ‘Buy One, Feed One’ campaign that she, along with Paul O’Grady have been supporting together. O’Grady is also an ambassador for Battersea.
- LEONA LEWIS : Leona Louise Lewis is a British singer, songwriter and animal welfare campaigner. She was born and raised in the London Borough of Islington, where she attended the BRIT School for Performing Arts and Technology. Lewis achieved national recognition when she won the third series of The X Factor in 2006, winning a £1 million recording contract with Simon Cowell’s record label, Syco Music.
- JODIE MARSH : Jodie Marsh is an English media personality, bodybuilder and occasional glamour model. She has featured topless in lads’ mags and tabloid newspapers and appeared in her own reality show, Totally Jodie Marsh. She is a vegetarian and she participated at the Peta campaign “All animals have the same parts”.