Asafetida, also known as hing, is commonly used for adding flavor in Indian and Persian cooking. It is also used for food fragrance and food preservation. Asafetida is a good source of riboflavin, protein, carotene, fiber, carbohydrates, niacin, calcium, iron and phosphorus. This spice is also known as the ” Food of the Gods due to its numerous healing and ameliorative properties in it. Let’s check out top ten benefits of this spice :-
- TREATS EAR ACHES :– There is the presence of antibiotic and anti inflammatory properties in this spice which can alleviate an earache. In order to treat an earache, first you should heat coconut oil in a pan and then put some asafetida in it, you can use it as an eardrops afterwards.
- EASES TOOTHACHES :– It helps in treating toothaches due to the presence of anti oxidants, anti bacterial and anti inflammatory properties. Moreover, it can also help in the treatment of dental caries and bleeding gums. You can rinse your mouth with asafetida by boiling it with cloves and water. In order to get a quick relief from toothaches, you can put a small piece of asafetida on the affected tooth.
- SOOTHES HEADACHES :– It can actually help in soothing your headache, it doesn’t matter if your headache is causing by a migraine or a common cold. It can help in lessening inflammation of the blood vessels in your head due to its inflammatory properties, through which, you will get relief from the headache. You can boil a few asafetida in a glass of water and then consume it a few times in a day in order to get a relief from a mild headache. Taking two teaspoons of tailed pepper and one teaspoon of each asafetida, camphor, dried ginger is another option, and then add rosewater or enough milk to make a paste. You can apply this paste on your forehead in order to get a relief from migraine headaches.
- RELIEVES MENSTRUAL ISSUES :– It acts like a boon for women as it helps in getting rid of irregular menstruation, menstrual pain and heavy blood flow during the period of menstruation. You can mix a half teaspoon of fenugreek powder and a pinch of asafetida in a cup of buttermilk with a pinch of salt for taste. Then, drink this two to three times in a day in order to lessen the menstrual cramps and other discomforts which you faces during the menstrual period.
- CURES RESPIRATORY DISORDERS :– Asafetida is often used in treating respiratory problems like whooping cough and colds, asthma, dry cough and bronchitis. You can make a paste by pulverizing asafetida in a cup of water and then apply it on your chest in order to get a relief from cough. You can also consume a mixture three times a day by mixing together two teaspoons of honey and one and a half teaspoon of each ginger powder and asafetida if you want to get a relief from asthma, bronchitis, whooping cough and dry cough.
- TREATS STOMACH PROBLEMS :– Asafetida works like a wonder in order to treat various kinds of stomach problems. It helps in curing problems like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), indigestion, flatulence, intestinal worms, intestinal gas and upset stomach as it contains anti flatulent, anti spasmodic, anti oxidant and anti inflammatory properties. You can include asafetida in your diet by adding it to your food and curries. You can also drink it by grinding asafetida in a cup of water after a meal.
- PREVENTS CANCER :– According it studies, it has been shown that the presence of anti carcinogenic properties actually helps in controlling the development of malignant cells, which in turn, prevents cancer. The two most widely researched compounds found in asafetida among various other compounds which prevents cancer are frolic and umbrelliprenin acid, both of them helps in inhibiting the growth of new cancer cells.
- TREATS COLIC PAIN :– Asafetida can actually soothe the colic pain in infants, however, make sure that the infant is suffering from gas problem and not some other problems before using it for the treatment. You can make a thin paste of asafetida with a cup of water and then apply it around the baby’ s naval area. It is not recommended for babies.
- HEALS INSECT BITES AND STINGS :– Asafetida is quite effective in treating insect bites and stings from wasps and bees. It alleviates inflammation and pain and helps in reducing the toxin effects. You can make a paste of asafetida powder with a cup of water and then apply it gently on the affected area in order to get a relief. It can also act as an insect repellent as it can help in ward off the mosquitoes and insects.
- TREATS IMPOTENCY :– Asafetida has been used for treating erectile dysfunction and impotency for ages. You can fry 1/4th of asafetida in a butter on the pan. After removing it from the heat, you can mix it with some honey and half teaspoon of fresh latex of banyan tree. You can consume this mixture daily for forty days during early morning in order to notice any improvement in your body.