Everyone knows that India is full of different religions, colors, beliefs, cultures, traditions and languages. The monuments of India are also famous in the whole world and they attract a wide range of tourists from all over the world. These monuments have their own kind of essence as every monument is attached with the emotions of some people. Now I am writing top ten historical monuments which you must visit when you come to India :-
1. TAJ MAHAL :- Taj Mahal is located in Agra, Uttar Pradesh and was built by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in the memory of his wife Mumtaj Begum who died during the birth of her 14th child. The Taj Mahal is the 8th wonder of the world and was built with help of twenty thousand workers and one thousand elephants which carried the material of construction in 1654.
2. HAWA MAHAL :- Hawa Mahal is one of the famous Indian monument tourist place which attracts a large number of people from all over the world. It is located in the heart of pink city, Jaipur. It was established in 1799 by Maharaja Pratap Singh, for the women of the royal household so that they can observe and enjoy the festivals outside the street without being seen.
Read Also : THE 9 BIGGEST JAIN TEMPLES IN INDIA
3. QUTUB MINAR :- It is located in New Delhi, the capital of India and is one of the earliest monuments. This minar is built by Qutab-ud-din Aibak and later completed by his successor Iltutmish. The soaring conical tower is an exquisite example of Indo-Islamic Afghan architecture. The height of the minar is 73 meters long and is the second tallest minar in the India. Qutub Minar is made of marbles and red sandstones and there is a circular staircase of 379 steps inside the minar leading to the top from the bottom. However, public access to the inside of this minar is restricted from 1981 due to a tragic accident which left 45 visitors dead. Qutub Minar is a World Heritage Site and has survived the ravages of time impressively.
4. VICTORIA MEMORIAL :- It is situated in Kolkata, West Bengal and was established in 1921 in the memory of Queen Victoria. It is a tourist destination and a museum which serves an excellent collection of sculptures, paintings and manuscripts of the British period.
5. INDIA GATE :- It is located in the capital city of India, New Delhi. It is built in a style of Indo-Saracen architecture by Edwin Lutyens. This historical monument was established in the year of 1931 and is a tribute to all the 90,000 soldiers who lost their life in Anglo-Afghan war and World – War I. This place attracts lots of tourists and is always filled with a large number of people who comes for a peace of mind or have a picnic with their friends or families.
6. MAHABODHI TEMPLE :- It is a Buddhist temple, situated in Gaya district of Bihar. It is also called as the Great Awakening Temple because Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddha had attained his knowledge and enlightenment here. The emperor Ashoka is said to be the founder of this temple and was established in 250 BCE, which is almost 200 years after the Buddha attained enlightenment. This temple also counts as one of the seventh wonders of India. The site includes a monastery of Bodhimanda Vihara, Lord Buddha stupa and a Mahabodhi tree.
7. MYSORE PALACE :- Mysore Palace is located at Mirza road, Mysore. It is one of the largest monument and palace in India where Maharaja Wodeyar of Mysore state used to live. The original palace was accidentally burned in the year of 1897 but was again reestablished by an architect Henry Irwin in the year of 1911. This Palace has been turned into a museum now which contains royal costumes, treasures, paintings, jewelries etc.
8. GATEWAY OF INDIA :- We all know that we can explore plenty of historic places in Mumbai, the capital of Maharashtra, and Gateway Of India is one of them. It was built in 1924 as a tribute to Queen Mary and King George V when they visited India in the year of 1911.
9. SANCHI STUPA :- This monument is situated in Madhya Pradesh and is one of the most glorious monument which was established by the Mauryan emperor Ashoka during third century B.C.E in the honor of Buddha. This monument is famous for the excellent specimen of Buddhist architecture and art which belongs to the period during 3rd century BC and 12th century AD.
10. RED FORT :- It is located in the capital of India, Delhi and was established in 1648 by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan. Mughal emperors were used to live in this fort for over 200 years until the year of 1857. This monument was made by red sandstones and that’s why it is called as “Red Fort” or “Lal Quila”. UNESCO also included this monument in the list of World Heritage Site in 2007.