If you want to ‘Go Natural’ and try something new then you can start with tonic herbs which comes under herbal remedies. The main aim of these tonic herbs is to keep us well and make our immunity system strong but they can also work wonder in already sick people, hence we should include these healing tonic herbs in our lives which are as follows :-
1. Brahmi: Brahmi plays an important role in the Ayurvedic medicines. In the Ayurveda, the Brahmi is believed to be very useful in many ways. Brahmi is good for mental health. The Brahmi is used for treatment of diseases like asthma, depression, epilepsy and Alzheimer’s. It can be taken as tea by preparing from Brahmi leaves and its powder can be mixed with boiled water to make tea.
2. Moringa Tree: Different parts of Morninga tree contains nutritional value and medicinal benefits. Moringa has minerals and is a good source of vitamins and proteins. It can be used to treat many diseases. It relieves headache. It is antibacterial if you apply on wounds. The leaves are useful in gastric ulcers.
3. Garlic: Commonly known Garlic’s other name is Allium sativum which is used for medicinal purposes. Garlic is effective in lowering BP, blood sugar, serum cholesterol and boosts the immune system. This natural herb is very useful. It also helps to reduce the joints pain. Use of Garlic prevents from skin fungal infections and its antibacterial properties help to control viral, fungal and bacterial infections. You can eat raw garlic and is used in cooking food.
4. Suma : Suma is one of the best medicinal herbs in the world. As an herbal remedy it is very important. It is found in Brazil and South America. American natives use it in their daily diet. Use of Suma reduces the risk of blood sugar, skin disorders, fatigue and aneamia.
5. Turmeric: Turmeric is a herbal medicine and is used in many ways to treat several diseases. In a wound turmeric is very helpful in healing it. For cough and skin problems use of turmeric in milk is very beneficial. Use of the turmeric reduces risk of pain in the joints and heals the internal wounds of body also.
6. Tulsi : Tulsi also known as Basil is useful in many ways. In Indian tradition Tulsi leaves are believed to be very pious and have healing power for many diseases. It is used for treatment of fever, asthama, lung disorder, heart disease, cancer and stress. Few leaves of Tulsi dropped in drinking water or food can kill germs within. It is also beneficial in dental health. Chewing of Tulsi leaves can remove bacteria responsible for the cavities, plaque and bad breath.
7. Thyme: Thyme is very useful in many ways. It fight chest congestion. Tea made by using the thyme eliminates bacteria and viruses. It is also used as lung remedy and prevents several infections.
8. Plantain Leaf: It is similar to a banana leaf. The leaf is being used for cough for many years. The plantain leaf has antibacterial properties. It can help to stimulate the immune system. It is used for many problems, like skin rashes, kidney problems and gastrointestinal inflammatory diseases.
9. Mint: Mint is commonly used a plant leaves. Everyone uses mint in their food. Mint is full of iron, calcium, phosphorus, vitamins and proteins. Mint has many health benefits. Mint chutney is very popular among people. Do you know its benefits? It is helpful in hunger, indigestion, occasional nausea and worm infestation also. Mint leaves mixed with ginger juice and honey can give relief from cough. A decoction made by boiling mint leaves is very useful for babies and small children for digestion problems like flatulence and relapsing fevers and occasional nausea.
10. Ashwaghanda: Ashwaghanda is used in the Ayurveda. It enhances immune system and stabilizes nervous system. It is also used to improve memory and is helpful in Alzheimers and dementia. The Ashwagandha is good for the patients of arthritis, diabetes and cancer. It is bitter in taste and difficult to eat but if you mix Ashwaghanda powder with milk and honey, it is easy to drink.
11. Ginger: Ginger is natural home remedy for sore throat and cough. Tea made by boiling ginger in water is very effective in severe cold and cough. Ginger is full of essential nutrients and rejuvenating compounds.
12. Dalchini: Dalchini is commonly used spice in India. The use of Dalchini improves digestive functions. It has medicinal properties which can cure diseases like cancer and helpful in type 2 diabetes. Use of Dalchini has so many health benefits, it reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease, The paste of Dalchini is applied on forehead, it is helpful to reduce the headache and migraine.
13. Amla: In Ayurveda Amla has been used for thousands of years. In Ayurveda Triphala is very useful for many disease and Amla is one of the three ingredients of Triphala. Amla is a major source of vitamin C which purify the blood, reduce cough and it is very beneficial for eyes, hair growth. You can take Amla juice with honey and the best way to eat Amla raw and it is also used in chutneys.
14. Giloy: Giloy has several medicinal properties. It is widely used in fever, boiled water by using giloy is helpful to reduce the joint pain in viral fever. It can also be consumed in the form of juice or power or capsules. It is used to treat skin and liver related diseases. Giloy can also be used with ghee to treat arthritis and you may also use it with jiggery to reduce the problem of constipation.
15. Neem: It is very popular medicinal herb in Ayurveda Neem leaf has antifungal and antibacterial properties. It is used to heal wounds and boil a bunch of neem leaves in water allow it to cool then wash your hair, this will eliminate your dandruff for sure. You can also wash your eyes by boiling water like this reduce the irritation or redness of eyes. Make a paste of neem leaves and add some turmeric, this paste can be used for itching, ring worms, eczema and mild skin disease. Crushed neem leaves can be taken with a glass of water to increase immunity.
All above natural herbs are beneficial for everyone but the effects of these herbs may differ from person to person. It will be a good idea to take expert advice before using any of above herbal remedy.
( kanchan Rastogi )